Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Value of Mentorship/Coaches

The word mentor derives from Greek mythology. Mentor was Odysseus' trusted elderly counselor in The Odyssey by Homer. Mentorship refers to a developmental relationship in which a more experienced person helps a less experienced person, referred to as a protégé, apprentice, mentee, or (person) being mentored, develop in a specified capacity.

~Wikipedia~


Having a mentor or coach is as old as the history of civilization," says Sheila Wellington, former Catalyst president and author of Be Your Own Mentor: Strategies from Top Women on the Secrets of Success.

So what is the benefit and focus of having a mentor/coach?:

  • The focus of a mentor/coach is to guide you and offer constructive ideas or criticism about how you might do things. One key is that the mentor should not take the role of “leader” – YOU are the leader; however, the mentor should help you to evaluate your goals, adjust them and offer you strategies to help overcome obstacles.
  • Encouragement of knowing that someone else has “been there and done that”. Having a mentor/coach allows you access to information you may not currently have or now how to access. No need to reinvent the wheel!
  • A mentor/coach should help you have that “stick and Stay” mentality and spirit. Many times I have wanted to give up on endeavors but having a mentor/coach has helped me on more than one occasion to “stay the course”! I am most grateful!
  • A mentor/coach should offer you encouragement and let you know it is OK to mess up! That is right I said it! It is ok to mess up! What do we learn from most? You got it! OUR MISTAKES! Even with a mentor, we will make mistakes! I have heard it said that “There are no Mistakes – just lessons” Learn from them! Grow from them and then PAY IT FORWARD!

Think about some of those famous mentor relationships like…………………………….

Tiger Woods or Donald Trump whose mentors/coaches were their fathers!

Madonna was a mentor to Gwyneth Paltrow

Maya Angelou (poet, writer, inspiration Bio) was a mentor to Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey in turn paying it forward was a mentor to "Dr. Phil" McGraw


There is much more I can share about the benefit of having a mentor but I hope I have given you a good foundation.


All successful people need to learn how to be successful and none of us can learn how to do this by ourselves! So what are you waiting for? Find a mentor/coach and begin your journey of success!

Signed,

Indiscriminate and Random Musings

4 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Great post! I know I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have with out some mentorship :)

artmixter said...

I work as a coach, particularly with artists; I think it's part of my remit to make sure that the people I work with gain the tools to become their own coaches and mentors, and to work with others in that way. Just solving problems with people is fine...but giving them the tools to solve their own is much better!

agoodwitchtoo said...

I don't have one mentor per say, but I glean something different from every individual I come in to contact with. In this way I gather a lot of valuable insight from many different people with different perspectives of looking at things.

Best thing is I learn something new every day. You're one of the peeps I look to for a bit o' guidance :)

Thank you, as always, for a great post!

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

Terronda, I LUV this subject!
My mentor was my grandmother, she gave me my love of quilting and cooking, taught me to knit and taught me to be a little sassy. She passed away young and I have such great memories.
I just went to my favorite BIL funeral yesterday where we celebrated his life, truly celebrated. He was a mentor to many young men and older men alike. He was a friend. I will miss his laughter and everything about him. He was the perfect match for my beautiful sister.
Thank you, Terronda for lifting my spirits with this subject matter...hugs and woots to you.
Blessings,
Cindy